As an organisation, IOB falls directly under the secretary-general of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. In terms of our work’s content, we are independent.
What does this mean?
- We determine the research programming ourselves, in consultation with the ministry's policy departments and other stakeholders and in accordance with the regulations stipulated in the Order on Periodic Evaluation and Policy Information (RPE).
- We determine the specifications of our studies: the scope of the subject, the research questions and the research methods.
- We have free access to all data held by the policy departments and the implementing organisation. We are also allowed to ask those involved for specific information.
- Our evaluations are public. They are published on the IOB website and sent to parliament.
- The director of IOB is ultimately responsible for the content of the published investigations and adopts the texts.